Pages

Saturday, October 17, 2015

WHEN A FOX MEETS A DEER

On October 14, 2015, Tia and Sam meet. Before I go on with this story, you’re going to need some background information. Sam is my one and a half year old pug chihuahua mix. I adopted him around June of last year. Tia, is an eight year old golden retriever, and Ashtyn is her owner. Ashtyn and I are horse crazy, and well, dog crazy too. Ashtyn trains Tia agility and I train Sam agility. We had been dreaming for the two pups to meet for awhile, but never went through with these plans. 

I’ll be honest, when Ashtyn came up with an exact plan of how and when they were going to meet, I was a little nervous. Of course, I wanted them to meet, but I didn’t know how it would go. Since Sam is still a puppy, he’s pretty “barkey”, and I guess you could say he’s not yet very “sociable”. Sam is not a mean dog in any way, shape, or form, he just has his preferences. But, I needed to take a leap of faith, and trust that everything would go okay. 

I packed his dog food, a bag of training treats, a leash, and of course, Sam himself. Trust me, I probably asked Ashtyn 100 times if it was okay with her dad and also if she still thought this was a good idea. I was silly for asking so many times, but I just wanted everything to go over smoothly. Her dad pulled up, I opened the door, and climbed in with Sam in my arms. I was honestly expecting him to bark, bark like a freaking maniac, but, he didn’t. 

Ashtyn: “Can we go to Petsmart? I need more training treats for Tia.”
Me (in my head): “Oh, crap. Sam will bark and it will just be a mess. Say no, please say no…”
Her dad: “Tia doesn’t need anymore.”
Everyone: *goes quiet*
Me (in my head): “Thank god.”

We continued down the road and turned. And guess where, Petsmart. I jumped out of the car with Sam and we walked into the store. HE DIDN’T BARK! I guess the chihuahua in him had subsided… for the time.

We got to Ashtyn’s house and Sam was freaking out. He was smelling everything and pulling me everywhere. Ashtyn let Tia out into the front yard and that’s when the chihuahua in him came out. 

Sam: *BARK! BARK! BARK! BARK!*

We walked them together around the neighborhood and thankfully, the two warmed up to each other. When all four of us got back home, we let them into the backyard. This is when Ashtyn and I fully understood what roles our dogs played. Sam was a fox and Tia was a deer. How does that make any sense? Sam is 40 pounds smaller than Tia, but he’s a brat and thinks he’s the boss. Ashtyn likes to refere to Sam as a stallion. Haha.

So, in reaction to this, Ashtyn and I tied the two dogs together, like how Spirit and Rain were tied together in the movie “Spirit: Stallion of the Cimarron”. But finally, they became acquaintances with each other. 

Although Sam and Tia didn’t become best friends like we hoped they would, it was still super fun and we’re hoping to get them together again soon, so stay tuned!   

This photo took FOREVER to take!

No comments:

Post a Comment