Pages

Sunday, May 1, 2016

RAIN, RAIN GO AWAY

My life and how I view it has changed dramatically since I started horseback riding. I know, I know, how cheesy can I be? Well, actually, I’m pretty cheesy, and I only talk about horses, so that’s a fact. Anyway, someone asked me what the best year of my life has been. I’m only fourteen so I haven’t experienced much, so I didn’t really know what to say. After some deliberation, I finally said 2015. There were definitely a lot of downs in that year, but the good things that happened greatly over powered the bad. They asked me why, and I said because in that year I realized I actually had dreams and aspirations, things I wanted to do and things I was going to do.

The way I view many things in life has changed in just a year. I used to say that I loved rain. I loved the sound it made when it landed on the car windshield, or how it made the mountains in my backyard look reborn. But now, I freaking hate rain. Honestly it just makes horseback riding a pain in the butt. Mud is everywhere, it gets on you it gets all over your horse (or in my instance all over my pony) and it’s just so annoying. 

Next, whenever I got paid for babysitting the parents would always ask what I’d use the money for, I never knew. I’d just say that I was saving for something. Then, they would ask what I was saving for and I would always just say and laptop or something. I swear to God if I had bought a $1,000 laptop I probably would have shot myself. Now that horses are in the picture, I need every cent I can get. I know I don’t have my own horse right now, but I eventually plan on having one and taking care of a one ton animal is pretty dang expensive and I can tell you right now that my parents aren’t going to pay for much of it. I actually love having stuff to save for, or buying things I actually need. 

I have also realized that I need to live my life to the fullest and not be afraid. Horseback riding is one of the most dangerous sports out there and there’s no denying it. In 2016 alone, I have heard of five people dying from horseback riding. On last Friday, April 29, nineteen year old Caitlyn Fischer died on a cross-country course after her horse fell on top of her. Also, Olivia Inglis, who was only seventeen also died this year on a cross-country course after her horse tripped over a jump and landed on top of her. 

Although these events are absolutely devastating and I cannot begin to imagine what these families and friends are going through, I cannot be scared to ride. I know the risk that comes with this sport and let me tell you, if I ever die from riding, don’t cry for me, because I died doing what I loved. 

In all, horseback riding has made me realize a lot of things, it has shaped me into the person I am today I cannot be more thankful. 

This is me and the pony I ride (Sheik) and I love him to pieces.
Picture Credit: Ashtyn Drechsel

No comments:

Post a Comment